When you are creating a garden, there are certain aspects that you may find attractive to add to the space. One of the things that I have added to my garden recently is a bird feeder. I love the concept of bringing birds, but specifically bluebirds, to the space, and I wanted something to match the flower pots and the décor that is already in the space.
If you are looking for bluebird feeders for your garden, then there are going to be a lot of options to consider. Let’s take a look at some of the best bluebird feeders on the market.
Bluebird Feeder Reviews
1) Bluebird Feeder with a Classic Design
This is an enclosed bird feeder that is blue in color. Overall, it is only about 8 x 7 x 6 inches, and the house-shaped feeder has a fly-through section on both sides of the design. This makes it convenient for the birds to eat, and since the enclosure has see-through sides, you can even enjoy watching them eat as well.
This is a rather large feeder, so it can hold up to four cups of dried mealworms, which are a favorite treat for bluebirds. There is a grooved perch that the birds can use as they are eating, and it also comes with a wire cable that can be used to hang it from a location in your garden.
Things We Like
- It is a feeder that is simple to fill.
- It has a clear top that is ideal for watching the little birds eat.
- It’s made from recycled plastic.
2) Bright Bluebird Mealworm Feeder
Since bluebirds like to munch on mealworms so much, this is a feeder that is going to be ideal for them to use. It has an enclosed design that will keep them hidden from larger birds that may be attempting to make them their prey. The feeder is shaped like a small house, and it has clear sides that make it easier to see inside. On the wooden sides of the feeder, there are little rods outside of the holes that the birds can use to sit on while they are eating.
The feeder has a triangular-shaped feeding box that will hold quite a bit of food. In fact, it holds about two full cups of dried worms. In total, there are four holes in the feeder that the birds can use, and they are all roughly about the same size.
Things We Liked
- The top of the feeder opens up to make filling it easier.
- You can watch the birds eat.
- The blue color stands out.
3) Platform Bird Feeder
This is an open feeder that many birds will enjoy, especially if they feel safe in the comfort of your garden. The base of this feeder is basically a tray that is 12 inches by 12 inches in size, and it has a depth of about 7/8 of an inch. This tray can easily hold up to two pounds of seed, and the sides are raised, which means that the edges serve as built-in perches for the birds.
Since this is an open feeder, it can hold a variety of seeds, nuts, and fruit, which may attract different types of birds to your garden. The bottom is also made with a mesh metal material that is able to keep the food dry when it gets wet outside. With this mesh flooring, the feeder is very easy to clean as well.
Things We Liked
- This feeder has a unique design.
- It comes with a hanging chain that is very durable.
- It can attract a variety of birds.
4) A Protected Bluebird Feeder
The idea of this bird feeder is that it is small enough for the bluebirds to fly through the small 1 ½ inch openings, but it will also protect them from the larger birds that may want to feed as well. This is a favorite choice of mine because it caters to the bluebird’s needs, and they will be able to fill their bellies with the mealworms that are placed in the center. The top and bottom of the feeder are a durable metal, which only has about a 14-inch diameter.
The dish is anchored so that it does not easily get tipped over, and the feeder itself is about eight inches tall. It only holds about ½ of a cup of food at a time, but since this is a protected feeder, it should be enough for the birds that you are trying to bring to your garden.
Things We Liked
- It provides a protected space for bluebirds to eat.
- The feeder is simple to fill.
- It is made from durable material.
5) Bluebird Feeder with a Dome Top
This is a bird feeder that works well for smaller bluebirds, but since it is an open feeder, it will also work for other types of birds as well. The feeder can be filled with mealworms as well as light seeds and nuts. In addition, because of the open design, the feeder is very simple to refill when you need it.
The feeder is made using a polycarbonate material that is both lightweight and durable. In fact, it has a layer of UV resistance that will be protected from the sun and other inclement weather. This unit is only about 10 ½ inches tall with a 12-inch diameter, so it will hold quite a few birds at a time.
Things We Liked
- The feeder is see-through, which makes looking at the birds easier.
- The dome can be raised or lowered to give the birds the space that they need.
- It is easy to fill with mealworms, seeds, and fruit.
How to Choose the Best Bluebird Feeders
If you are looking for a specific bird feeder that is going to attract bluebirds, then you are going to need to make sure that you are looking for certain features. Bluebirds can be picky when it comes to their food, so many times, dried mealworms may be a great choice of food to try, but they will also eat seeds and fruits. Some of the things to consider include:
- The Durability of the Feeder: If this is a feeder that is going to be outside for the majority of the time that you own it, it only makes sense that you get one that can handle a little bit of snow, rain, and sun throughout the year. The more durable the material is, the longer it will last before it needs to be replaced.
- The Size of the Feeder: The size that you select will depend on the number of bluebirds that live in your garden. If there are a lot of birds, having a larger feeder will make it so that you do not have to refill the food every day.
- The Feeder is Attractive to Bluebirds: When it is mating season, a bluebird is going to be attracted to a feeder that is blue in color. Once the birds find that the feeder is safe and protects them from other larger birds, they are likely to bring back more bluebirds to eat. Also, a transparent side that you can see through is going to be a great option because a bird that can see the mealworms in the feeder is more likely to stop to eat.
- The Feeder is Easy to Clean: Bird feeders are not always simple to clean, but even though they will be eating out of it, it is not unlikely that some of the birds may also relieve themselves as well.
- The Feeder is Easy to Fill: You will want open access to the feeding area so that you can simply refill it without a struggle when the food is low. Most of the models that you will find on the market have a top that opens up to make it easy to use or an adjustable section that will make the process of filling it up easy.